Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

PhD news

I haven't written anything regarding my phd work recently, so I thought I should so a small update.

First of all, I feel that I am doing right now work that is going to be the core of my phd thesis. I've been to the Brookhaven Lab twice last month and the data we got, although not conclusive, point exactly where I should be going. Tom no more instructs me what to do (apart from suggestions here and there) since I mostly know what to do now. I never leave the office before 6pm anymore, most likely at 7 or 8 in the evening.

I remember last year when I was complaining to our senior student Ali that I don't have much stuff to work on. Back then I used to work a couple of hours a day max, mostly simulations, and I left the office at 4pm. Ali told me back then that this is natural since I was at the beggining of the phd and I shouldn't worry; work would come with time. I remember him saying once "Damn, I didn't do any work today yet": He meant it seriously and I was surprised by his loyalty to research.

Well, here I am, only one year later, and if I don't do anything for a whole day I feel very bad indeed. I now know how Ali felt...

Categories