Pages

Monday, January 24, 2005

Theater Vs Home Theater

It's all about the brain. Let me explain myself.

The movie theaters have better sound systems that the Home Theater we just built. Yet I am not impressed by the sound there as I am impressed by the sound home. Why is that? I came to the conclusion that it is about the fact I am used to the movie theater sound. My brain expects a certain sound quality, and it gets it, so this is assumed to be normal. However, this audio quality is not expected in a living room, because I've been in living rooms before and they don't sound awesome; that is the normal condition for my brain. Therefore it is a surprise to hear such quality.

I am impressed by my speakers not because it is the best sound ever, but because it is the best sound I ever had home. It's all about what the brain is accustomed to.

Categories