Pages

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Nice gadget

I found after some help from the NTUA newsgroups a gadget I was looking for: a portable digital picture storage.

The problem with my camera is that it only holds 8 minutes of video in its 1GB memory (this is the largest memory there is at that speed - Ultra II). In our recent trip to Yosemite I brought my laptop with me, and I was emptying the memory every single day. So I had 4 GB of data at the end of the trip.

As the trip to Florida and Bahamas is coming up (εννέα και σήμερα!), I am reluctant to get my laptop with me. It's bulky, takes up space, and I am afraid it may be lost, damaged or stolen (we have 5 flights and 3 different hotels to stay at).

Then I thought it would be nice to have a portable 20GB hard drive that has memory slots so that one can unload pictures in it during trips. I don't care about lcd screen and previews, I just want to get my memory empty.

Apparently such a device exists! I bought it from mydigitaldiscounts.com, a version that just provides the case and you can insert any 2.5" (that's laptop size) hard drive in it. It is the size of an iPod, it has a battery and all kinds of memory card slots. I will just install in there the old hard drive from my laptop (I replaced it with a faster and bigger one last year). I knew it was nice I din't throw it away!

I'll let you know how it works as soon as I get it, hopefully by Friday.

Categories