Pages

Sunday, September 09, 2018

Tesla Model 3

A couple of weeks ago I had the chance to drive a Model 3. It was my first close-up experience with an all-electric car, and I would like to share my impressions. While I have been following Tesla from a high level update point of view, I have never looked into details.

Keep in mind that, albeit I consider myself technologically adept (borderline geek), I am not into cars. At all. So, I came into this as a normal person that wants to use a car. I can also evaluate it technologically.

1. Gadget. Having 20+ years of experience with computers came handy. When the iPhone did not pair with the car via bluetooth, a restart of the car's system fixed it. When the voice commands to start playing a song did nothing, an overnight software update fixed it. And there seem to be different charging port standards (the one at home; a community one; a Nissan Leaf one at the mall; Tesla superchargers) that do require certain familiarity with adaptors and handling different standards.

2. Interface. With the exception of blinker lights and wipers (managed by levers on either side of the steering wheel), and opening the doors, pretty much everything else is operated by the large touch screen at the center. Lights, windows, A/C, etc. This requires some getting used to, but it is fine at the end of the day.

3. Internet. Having always-on LTE connection is great for streaming music. I had not realized that Tesla is supplying their own music service. Not sure why they don't license something like Spotify for that. Control I guess, but then again it's just something adjustable via software if Spotify went wrong.

4. Charging. Experience is still so so, even in California. When going around to find a charging station, one was not working well, one was not working at all, one was incompatible, and one was occupied in a busy cinema. Considering that these were not supercharging stations and it would take hours to fully charge, you kinda have to install a charging solution at home to feel safe. I think the situation is manageable, it just requires some more planning to understand the options in your neighborhood and the travel route. It is definitely not mindless though. This is a point where I expect large improvements in the coming years as electric cars become more common. Car charging points should be everywhere, like phone charging points are in most crowded public spaces today.

5. Driving. Not many comments here as I do not have perspective. The car is a joy to drive, and having instant torque while accelerating from 0-60mph in nearly 4 seconds is a great feeling. It does not feel like you are driving a cheap car, so absolutely no complaints here.

6. Self-driving. This model was light in self-driving features, so I did not have enough experience with it. The topic deserves its own post, but I am

Overall, this feels like a car from the future arrived in our time. If you are into gadgets, this is as one of the top things you can buy to enjoy yourself in 2018. If in the next 10-20 years most cars followed this route, the world would be a better place. Tesla has done great design work, and I hope they can release a truly affordable sub-$30k car in the coming decade.

Finally, charging from the electricity grid to day is not enough, and it is still mostly a fossil-fuel-burning process. The cars need to be charged by solar power, which is not common today. All these charging stations to be installed are no good if they don't eventually get their power from solar. So, we have still a long way for our planet to enjoy the true benefits of solar-power electric motion.

Categories